Friday, November 13, 2009

Fish in Hong Kong Part. 4

As the sun rose and my Facebook wall was once again flooded with requests for gifts and other stuff from Hong Kong so I decided to spend my day walking around the markets looking for stuff to waste my money on.

To start off my day I got directions from the wonderful concierge staff at the Conrad Hotel and headed down to the subway to take it into Kowloon. After riding the trains down a few stops and getting off at the Mongkok station I made my way over to Nathan street and decided to walk south till I reached the ferry. The subway trains in Hong Kong are wonderful, they are easy to figure out and use and are much cheaper then taking a taxi. The whole ride cost me HK$6 which is less then $1 US, while the taxi will start you off at HK$18 and build from there.

As I walked down the street passing shops and stalls selling all sorts of goods, everything from jade stones to Rolex watches. I stopped in a few to look at some goods, but mainly to avoid the troublesome street peddlers trying to get you to go with them to get a tailor made suit or designer watch.  These people were so annoying they would continue to walk with you and pester you till another one would come up and try and sell you something. I did manage to pick up a nice gift for my girlfriend. Many of the smaller shops and stalls were hidden down a dark and dank ally which would open up to a catacomb of stalls selling mainly cell phones and food with a few clothing stores sprinkled here and there.

Eventually I made my way all the way down to the Star Ferry finishing my 2.2 mile long walk.  After riding the ferry back I hailed a cab and headed back to the mall beneath the hotel to grab some lunch from the Metropolitan Cafe before heading out to the bus terminal to catch a ride over to Stanley Market and continue my shopping day.

After taking a lovely and inexpensive (HK$8) bus ride I walked around the large outside  market and enjoyed the nice day out before heading back to the Bus and ending my day with dinner in the mall at an American restaurant. I fly half way around the world to eat...a blue cheese burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment